Thursday, June 12, 2014

OT Training 6.12.14

Today was a pretty good training day. I slept in a little longer than I usually do (stayed up later also) so I got a late start on things. I went to the gym and got a good back/bi workout in while seeing one of my closest friends. We talked about some things and he was asking about my training and I said that I had a 45 minute run lined up. He suggested that I run from our gym into the place I usually run. After thinking about it I though it would be a good idea.

The run starts downhill with some smaller uphill climbs along the way but flattens out where I typically run. My race is going to be mostly flat but as my buddy told me it can't hurt to get stronger with some hill work. I ended up going 44:07 and covered 5.34 miles which came out to an 8:15 pace. It was a little slower of a pace than I would have liked but I kept a really consistent pace throughout my entire run and over my last mile I was able to overcome the significant hill that I have yet to be able to complete the eight or so other times I have ran it.


I was pretty tired about halfway up the hill and thought about catching my breath for a quick second but I knew that I needed to push through this and push myself mentally. Over the last couple tenth of a mile it got really steep and what really kept me going was the thought of me crossing the finish line. I know the race is going to be tough and the running part is going to be extra difficult after a mile swim and a 25 mile bike ride so the finish of a 45 minute run with nothing before it was nothing.

I was able to overcome that hurdle and when I finally finished I felt awesome. I mean my legs were shot and I was sweating really bad thanks to some unreal humidity but I was able to continue when I thought I was going to have to stop. That is what it is about. During the race I am sure I am going to want to stop on numerous occasions but as long as I can train through wanting to stop I am going to give myself a better chance of working through it in the race.

Good workout day.

No comments:

Post a Comment